Sunday, February 1, 2009

Prison Ministry

Last night I went with Deacon Cartwright to help with out with his prison ministry. I really didn't know what to expect. Everyone has their own impression of inmates and most people get really nervous and scared. And unfortunately, I had that same thought, going into the prison.

However, when I walked into the room (where the service was going to be), they looked like normal people. Here I thought that I was going to be seeing guys that didn't look human (I have no idea why I thought that), but instead I saw the most kindest and loving people I have ever met.

During the entire service, I was just thinking to myself, these guys are just like many of the people I know and myself. How could they be in prison?

Just watching these men throughout the service, I couldn't believe how serious they take their faith. They would sing with their whole hearts, read the Gospel with such power, and when they received the Eucharist, WOW!!!

As I watched them receive the Eucharist with such humility, I saw a few men start crying, and it brought tears to my eyes. These men GET IT! They understand that it really is Christ in the Eucharist.

It made me sad to think about how much we take for granted. We have freedom, we are able to receive the Eucharist, Confession and much more! But these men, they only get the Sacraments if someone is able to go and give it to them. When they receive the Eucharist, they don't take it for granted, but instead Cherish it!

I heard one man pray for his sister and her new baby. It was really hard for me to hear that prayer request. My niece is only 1 year old, and it would kill me to know that I couldn't see her. In fact it does kill me inside because I am over 400 miles from her.

Yes, these men have made some mistakes in their lives, but so have we. The only thing that separates us, is they got caught and we didn't.

In Christ,
Chris Osgood

No comments: